Monday, February 22, 2010

But you talk like your mother

Hot damn I feel good. Today I got out of bed at about 6:30 to go to my place of employment. Notice that I didn't say I went "to work" because I went there to record some music. The bathroom at work has a natural reverb that I adore and could never recreate, so I've recorded several songs before the store opens.

I started playing shows by myself about a year ago and I've recorded two EPs under the name The Swingin' Party and I've been working on a third recording the past couple of months and I've never been this consistently excited about writing music and recording. I have 4 (maybe 5 songs) that I consider done at this point and they're all those songs that I've been wanting to write for a while but never really felt satisfied in any attempts. There's a 7 minute song about my hometown (among other things) that sounds like a more spastic Greetings From Asbury Park. A catchy little pop song about long winters that uses a couple vocal melodies I've been sitting on and some Spoon/Yankee Hotel Foxtrot-type layering (which is what I recorded today). There's more, but this seems a bit boring. Just know that I'm excited to record these songs and for the first time I'm also excited about the process of recording them and seeing how I can tailor them and make them a little more interesting.

These occasional early morning days are always exciting, I highly recommend them for those of us who rarely get up early. You feel alive. You feel like finally going to Meier to get toilet paper because you've been out since Thursday and have had to go next door every time you need to poop.

No comments:

Post a Comment